Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Wish List


I have a running list of the things I really REALLY would like to do once I start pulling in some awesome 4 figure checks:

Haircut

I am starting to look a lot like this: 



Of course, I mean minus the perfectly symmetrical features, princess dress and romantic association with a man who has no genitals (ah, Ken). I just mean that my hair is out of control to the point where a small child could genuinely have hours of fun with it. My locs now tap that the “intimate” spot on my back where it is not okay to touch a woman unless you know her biblically (or would like to).  I do not want to get to the point where I can sit on it. I would love to get it cut but its not like my locs and I can go to supercuts and receive quality service.  One of the banes of having ethnic (albeit low maintenance) hair is that not everyone can wash, style and cut it.  Of course, I am in a multicultural mecca, so this means there ARE people who can cut my hair… for $100. If I thought I wouldn’t wind up looking like this: 



I would do it myself.  I am pretty sure I would massacre my own hair.  Therefore, the haircut will have to wait.

Dry Cleaning

As I have mentioned previously my mother is a very classy Southern lady.  She taught me a lot about clothing and has instilled in me a certain… appreciation of natural fibers. Silk, seersucker and linen in the summer.  Cashmere and wool in the fall and winter. Cotton year round.  Call it snobbery if you will but I have clothes from high school that I can still wear because they were well made...  As a result I have a pile of dry clean only clothes that have been accumulating since last summer.  I have been ignoring them (I don’t really need that gold lace D&G dress for another occasion that I know of) but I really need to round them up and drop them off at a reputable establishment.

Cobbler

I wear shoes into the ground. Literally.  Twice I have felt weird clicking sensations on my feet only to turn them over to expose the screw that used to hold a heel. I have a LOT of shoes. A dozen pair of cowboy boots alone but when since I have moved around quite a bit and have no idea where I may settle, most of them are at home in CT.  This means I wear the crap out of a few pairs of shoes I have with me.  I have at least three pairs that I really should stop wearing and drop off at the cobbler but that means $$$$$. This is yet another bullet point on my employment checklist.

New Sheets

Some people enjoy high thread count Egyptian cotton.  Or silky microfiber.  Not me.  I am but a humble attorney.  I like jersey sheets in the spring, summer and fall and flannel sheets in winter. Right now, my bed is sporting the cheapest sheets Marshalls had to offer.  They are substantially less “deluxe” than the label indicated.   I yearn for the day when my $40 and I can roll into Target and buy some sweet jersey sheets.  Its like sleeping on T shirts!

Frog

Beginning in college, I started to buy aquatic pets.  It started with a series of guppies (Mini Me, Minier Me, Miniest Me) and progressed into a series of frogs primarily named after members of the Red Hot Chili Peppers (Kiedis, Frusciante, Flea, Chad).  The last of my little croakers died in the care of my law school ex but I would love to acquire another cheap low maintenance aquatic pet.

See? I don’t want to fly to Seattle to have my favorite tartare (at CafĂ© Presse) or replace my beloved Hudson jeans that ripped right under the butt ((sniff)) or even get lasik.  I just want clean clothes, an underwater friend, not to end up peeing on my hair and sweet soft sheets. All reasonable.

No comments:

Post a Comment